Monday, September 20, 2010

Metal Mouth Mary

It looks as though I have survived my first few days with 'train tracks'... it was a lot tougher than I thought it would be.

(terrible photo by the way, but I guess most of the photos pf the next 2.5 - 3 years are going to be pretty crappy)

Yep, after all I've been through with dental and surgeries this past 18 months you'd think this would have been a walk in the park, well, I tell you now it wasn't.

My appointment was booked for a max of 90 minutes. That's longer than they usually allow for putting on the braces, so they figured it would be plenty of time... turns out they didn't factor in the 'MARY CARD'... my appointment ended up being a little shy of 3 hours 15 minutes. It was also pretty uncomfortable, since I have just recently had the bone graft in two places on my lower jaw. Having my right wisdom teeth (top & bottom) was also kind of a nuisance, since they had a hard time getting brackets all the way back there.

Anyway, I survived. I walked out of there with metal brackets on my bottom teeth, and clear ones on the front ones of my top. I also didn't quite get rid of my flipper... it kind of just got changed, and it's now a bridge.... Don't ask, it works (kind of).

The first day I couldn't eat a thing, my back teeth had so much pressure on them it hurt too bad. The next couple days I resorted to softer foods, soups etc... boring, but manageable.

This weekend I finally ventured to rice and that was better. It had substance and was edible, but it got really badly stuck in the brackets and was a pain to clean... at least it kept the hunger at bay tho! ;)

The easiest thing by far was baked potatoes.... thankfully, they're also one of my fav foods to eat! I also had a can of Heinz Baked Beans stashed so I poured those over the buttered potato and topped it with grated cheese.... Mmmmm, I was instantly back in London for the 20 mins it took me to eat my dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment