Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hello Third Trimester!

So, I am officially in the third trimester. There's a lot of different opinions on when that technically starts - some Dr's say 26 weeks, others say 27 weeks and there are some that say it doesn't start until 28 weeks....

I really don't know when it actually starts - if you want to be picky and divide 40 weeks by 3 (trimesters) it gives you 93.33 days per trimester so the second trimester would end on day 186 and the third would start - but hey, who really cares..... it's all just a great big guessing game anyway, baby will come when he or she is ready, right?!?!?

Well, that's what we're hoping, but we're also hoping that baby will decided he/she is ready at some time between me hitting 36 and 40 weeks. That would really help us out! ;) It would mean we could have the baby here in town at the birthing center and that I wouldn't have to sit around counting days and 'wondering' about every little twinge as the EDD passed. Thankfully my OB will only let us go a maximum of one week past the due date before he wants to induce labor.

So, with potentially another 8 - 12 weeks before we get to meet the little one we have fallen so deeply in love with already we have started to make plans. I'm still on 'light duties' from my Dr, and on days like today I know why.

This stage of pregnancy (and for the past couple weeks) has really brought a whole new host of issues into my daily life - my hips seem to be trying to do their own thing. They seem to 'numb out' at night and send me whole leg into a crazy frenzy of pins & needles. Rolling from one side to the other in bed has become a laughing stock - I seem to have to do what I have now named the 'Three Point Turn'. I can't just roll over, I have to kind of shuffle, then roll to my back, then shuffle some more then roll to the other side.... I seem to be hungry all the time, but baby is taking up so much room that I really can't eat much at meal times, so instead I graze.... I constantly snack, Oranges are my thing - I am deeply in love with oranges. Oh, and cereal, I can't get enough of my Honey Nut Cornflakes..... anytime, day or night, I'd happily eat them!

I'm sure there's plenty else I could mention, like the back ache, the swollen feet and ankles, the joint pain and headaches... the constant need to pee even when I don't need to pee..... but I guess I'll just stop myself right there. I don't want anyone to mistake my 'mentioning' of these super 'fun' things that go along with pregnancy for me actually complaining. I am not complaining. I am actually very thankful and feel totally blessed to have a healthy baby growing inside of me and taking over my body. I am actually also really enjoying pregnancy - I love to sit and just watch my belly wriggle and jiggle as my sweet bundle of joy moves around in there - It's fun to feel the kicks (even if they're to the bladder or the ribs - OUCH)..... so, I'd happily take the bed rest, the orders of light duty, the swollen feet and constant need to pee.... I'm excited about this journey, trying to enjoy every new experience it brings me and all the little challenges it puts infront of us too.... and I am SO very thankful that I have a wonderful husband and partner to share all of this with. He is truly amazing, he helps me in so many ways, and is my support person, physically and emotionally. I am so thankful and excited that we get to walk this path together as a team, and that someday here in a relatively short amount of time we will be able to reap the rewards and have snuggles and kisses with our little one.


Anyway, I guess I got WAY off track - I blame the preggo-brain, it really has turned me into that Dory character from Finding Nemo... if you don't know who Dory is, I'm not going to explain - just google it, or even better watch the movie, it's awesome....

Yesterday I decided that since Cory's working solo at the farm I would go out there and hang out at the house and do some things I'd been needing to work on anyway. So I loaded some 'projects' and something to fix for lunch into the pick-up and headed out there with him.

With it still in the back of my mind and after not sleeping so good the night before I found my way into the recliner and relaxed a little - I went with Cory to try and bottle feed Ray and then made lunch for Cory, Tom and I. It really wasn't a busy morning by any standards, but my body was not liking the direction the day was going in.

After lunch I rode with Cory to check on Ray again, and unfortunately he had taken a turn for the worst - it was pretty sad, and I was already starting to get a little too much 'tightening' in the belly so when I got back up to the house I found my way back to the trusty recliner and kicked back....

Before Cory was done for the day I tidied round the kitchen and made sure that everything was back to exactly how it was before and got my stuff together... we had to run to Salem and do a couple of errands before getting home.

We got the wood we needed for the floor (great deal and I am VERY excited about that) then grabbed dinner at Walerys (YUM) before going to Babies R Us and Target...

Now, I'm still not considering this a busy day - I had rested quite a bit with my feet elevated to prevent the horrible swelling that seems to keep happening to me. And I tried to keep drinking water throughout the day, but I guess my little frame just can't handle the weight of the baby hanging out in there and after walking part way round Target the contractions got so strong they stopped me in my tracks. I waddles (yes, I actually waddled) over to the outdoor furniture department and found a soft seat to sit on and hoped the contractions would stop. I had a few more things I wanted to look at before we left. Well, it wasn't to be - they kept going and after sitting for a while everything was still too tight so Cory decided it was time to head home.

I was so frustrated with myself. I'd taken it easy, I didn't feel like I'd overdone it that day, but I still couldn't walk round even half of Target.

I guess if I want to keep our sweet little baby in there for at least another 8 weeks I'd better work harder at taking it easy......

That is easier said than done, let me tell you - my nesting is starting to kick in, I need to get busy and get the house and bedroom ready for this little one... I have so many goals, but the biggest and most important is keeping baby safe so I just keep reminding myself of something a friend said "it's just for a short while".... and I guess in the greater scheme of things it really is only for a short while... So, I'll try and keep my frustrations at bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment