Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Birthday time...

Cory & I were excited that we would get to have our birthday in London... I was excited to have Colin the caterpillar cake for my birthday too - Yummmm...

We didn't have much planned for our birthday, and I guess we probably should have planned a little more, but it was perfect as it was, and I will definitely remember turning 30 (ugh).

We had a lazy morning, complete with a yummy fry up (bacon, egg, beans, toast....) and then opened presents with the family. I didn't really expect any presents, and Cory & I had decided before the trip that we would exchange gifts when we got home, but he still brought a little red package out of his bag and gave it to me. I couldn't think what it was, I completely had no idea what he was giving me. I opened the little velvet pouch and immediately recognised what was hiding inside. It was the most beautiful blue/fire opal ring I had ever seen, and it had belonged to Cory's late Grandmother. Paula passed away just a few months ago - I was overwhelmed, and absolutely and completely speechless.
After a few minutes I asked him how it came to be that I was receiving it and he told me the story. I was honoured.

A few minutes after that there was a knock at the door.... the postman. Mum and Caroline had gone round to the shops so I went and answered the door. He handed me a package, with MY name on it - WEIRD, I don't live here anymore.

I recognised the writing - it was from my buddy in Finland... so I opened it with Cory - it was this awesome green bowl on a stem type thing. I really don't know how to explain it, except that it's beautiful, it's glass, and it's very Finish (apparently). Thank you Anna... it's perfect!

So, after opening presents, and having that lazy morning I mentioned we got ready and headed out for a walk to Holland Park. It was a beautiful day for a walk in the park. It was such a relaxing morning and I got to show Cory all the little things I remembered of our frequent visits to that park in my childhood.

After that a spot of lunch and then a little shopping, and then we headed back to the house to hang out with the family for a bit before dinner. We had reservations at the Bombay Bicycle Club - THE best Indian restaurant in London (IMHO) and my favourite place to dine, I couldn't think of a better place to have birthday dinner.

Once we'd filled up there we headed back home and had birthday cake with the family - YUM!

So, I decided that turning 30 wasn't too bad after all... it wasn't really all that different to being 29, except for all the smart alecs cracking jokes all day... I guess I'll give thirty a fair shot and see how it treats me in a few weeks. ;)

Here's some pics of our birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment