Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Introducing Miss Olivia

I am so excited to introduce you all to Miss Olivia, the newest member of our little family! I am sure you will agree that she is as cute as a button, but I will also add that she's a lively and feisty little thing!


A little over a week ago Cory had to drive down to Myrtle Point to pick up some newborn calves, so I decided to go along for the ride. I'm a sucker for baby animals, especially cows, sheep and kittens - I don't know what it is, they are just the cutest and most fun little things. I had always wanted to own my own little herd of cows but never really thought it would happen...

So, along I go for the ride, pretty content to just get to oooh and aaah over the babies, and then something happens when we get there. Cory sees me almost drooling over the babies and decides that I should get my own little calf. He said he was pretty sure his Dad would let us pasture it with his own cattle and so we didn't have to worry about not having the room right now... So, I pick out a little girl - Miss Olivia! She's half Angus, half Holstein - she's 100% beautiful!

While we were at the dairy we didn't have any cell service so we hadn't been able to check with his Dad before buying her, I was just hoping it was ok.... So, we bring Miss Olivia and the others home and talk to his Dad. He was fine with it and said she'd be just fine in with the rest of the babies and Momma's.

So, we get our three into their new pen and give them a bottle feed, then Doug took the other two calves up the road to the friend we were picking them up for.

Miss Olivia turned out to be a character - she was feisty, thirsty and craving attention - she's a funny little thing, so much personality!

She loves it when Cory comes to visit her during the work day for loves and when he goes to leave she always gives him a playful nudge on the butt as if to say "one last rub down before you leave".

The last few days she has been taken under the wing of one of the other Momma cows which is just amazing. She has her own baby (Shep) but she's happy to feed Olivia too and to look out for her. I'm so glad Miss O has found her place in the herd!

Here's some more pics - I couldn't resist, she's just too cute!




1 comment:

  1. She's gorgeous!
    I love calves. Every year, when I was a kid and used to spend my holidays at my grandad's next to a farm, I would be the godmother of a new-born calf :) I love the way they would suck your hand with their rough tongue!

    ReplyDelete